Continuing Education Credit Requirements
DC License & CCCA Cert Renewals due 12/31/2024
Doctors – Do you have a plan of action in place on how you are going to get your 32 credits necessary to renew your DC license come 12/31/2024?
Per 12 AAC 16.290. HOURS OF CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIRED, if you’ve had an active Chiropractic License for all of 2023-2024, you are required to complete 32 continuing education credits in order to renew your license and there are some unique subject matter requirements. You are required to have a minimum of:
- 2 hours in Ethics/Boundaries.
- 2 hours in Coding/Documentation.
- 2 hours in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training.
- 8 hours in Radiographic safety; radiographic techniques and interpretation; or diagnostic imaging.
All courses must be approved for continuing education by the Alaska Board of Chiropractic Examiners or by the Providers of Approved Continuing Education (PACE) through the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards. Source: 12 AAC 16.340
Not more than 16 credit hours of the 32 credit hours required for a renewal of a chiropractic license may be obtained over the Internet or by distance learning. Source: 12 AAC 16.290(f).
Did you know you are REQUIRED to keep proof of all the continuing education you earn? 12 AAC 02.960 (e) lists out what each Certificate of Attendance you get from your CE courses. Does the verification you have pass muster?
- the name of the licensee;
- the amount of continuing competency credit awarded
- a description of the continuing competency activity;
- the dates of actual participation or successful completion;
- the name and mailing address of the instructor, sponsor, or other verifier; and
- the Internet address of an online provider than can verify individual student attendance (if done online)
How are you shaping up so far? Complete this checklist for the credits/courses you’ve attended so far in 2023 and 2024. Or, the Alaska Board of Chiropractic Examiners created this CE Activity Log you can use to keep track of your credits. CLICK HERE to download a copy.
CCCA – Clinical Assistants – After completing the initial certification requirements under 12 AAC 16.052. CHIROPRACTIC CLINICAL ASSISTANT SCOPE OF PRACTICE, (d), (e), or (f) of this section, a chiropractic clinical assistant must maintain current certification in accordance with the requirements of the Certified Chiropractic Clinical Assistant Program (CCCA) administered by the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards (FCLB), the Chiropractic Therapy Assistant (CTA) Program administered by the Tennessee Chiropractic Association, or an equivalent nationally recognized program as determined by the board in accordance with AS 08.20.055(4). Current CPR certification is also a requirement for certification of the CCCA. CCCA education will be provided at Convention for those recertifying with Tennessee Chiropractic Association’s renewal date of 12/31/2024. For those certified through FCLB, renewal dates are two years from the date of certification, which is fluid.
Ethics and Boundaries
Coding and Documentation
Basic Life Support (BLS) or Automated External Defibrillator Training (AED). Up to four hours of credit maximum from this subject area.
Radiographic safety; radiographic techniques and interpretation; or diagnostic imaging.
Any subject that contributes directly to the professional competency of a person licensed to practice as a chiropractor and be directly related to the concepts of chiropractic principles, philosophy, and practice, including the following: treatment and adjustment technique, including physiotherapy, nutrition and dietetics; examination and diagnosis or analysis including physical, laboratory, orthopedic, neurological and differential approved by the Alaska Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
Zero courses completed so far? In a dilemma? Coming up short? Here’s a plan for YOU!
The 2024 Alaska Chiropractic Society Biennial Convention will offer up to 32 continuing education units over the 4-day conference. We will have courses that will meet all of the REQUIRED subjects listed above PLUS SO MUCH MORE!! Attend the 4-day conference and you can earn all 32 credits required for renewal! The ACS 2024 Convention will be held October 3-6, 2024 at the Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage, AK. Stay tuned for more details!
1. CPR – Complete your CPR Certification through Frontier Safety and Supply – see schedule on the ACS website Calendar. Jon Hunt offers a 4-hour American Safety and Supply Institute CPR AND First Aid Certification course that will earn you 4 credits (2 CPR, 1 BLS, 1 AED) towards your CEU total. ACS Members receive a discount off FSS classes. OR take CPR at the ACS Convention October 3-6, 2024 at the Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage, AK. We’ll have multiple classes over the four days to move everyone through including staff, certified chiropractic clinical assistants and licensed massage therapists.
2. Attend the 2024 ACS Convention October 3-6, 2024 for 1, 2, 3 or 4 days! Maximum 32 credits can be earned. We will cover all your “required subjects” listed above plus philosophy, technique, nutrition, neurology, AND MORE! Convention details COMING SOON! NEW THIS YEAR – ACS Member Convention registration will even include a bank of online ON-DEMAND courses to help ease stress and free up time for important things at convention like practice management learning, networking, and EXPO time! Stay tuned for more information on our NEW Learning Management System specifically designed for Alaskan doctors to earn CE Credits in your own time!